Pilates Helps Golfers
Golfers are constantly twisting on a drive, squatting down to measure a putt or leaning over to pick up a ball. All these movements can torch their body into awkward positions. These movements are also repeated which can result in overuse of particular muscle groups, and weaken others that aren’t directly involved. This can cause an imbalance in muscle groups.
Muscle imbalances affect the legs, hips, arms, shoulders, and the lower back. It can also affect your game, particularly for those over the age of 50. Your drives may be shorter and less accurate, your stamina may decrease, and the potential for debilitating strains, pulls and tears, become much higher.
This is where Pilates can come in to restore full muscle balance to the body.
Pilates strengthens the core (the trunk, shoulder girdles and pelvis). Core strength improves hip rotation, range of motion in the shoulders and back stability leading to more powerful and accurate golf shots. It is also a full body exercise that works all muscles and is easy on the joints. Pilates helps golfers develop a stronger and more stable core.
Many golfers, from weekend warriors to the game’s elite, use Pilates as a training tool to keep their bodies in balance and improve performance. Pilates is based on movement from the center of the body, as are most movements in golf. The end result is a flexible, symmetrically muscled body. So when you do make that swing from your core, you’re less likely to injure your back or tweak a muscle.
Benefits of Adding Pilates Practice to your Golf Game
· Attain an optimal backswing and follow-through with increased range of motion in shoulders
· Get more distance and power because of added hip and torso flexibility
· Have a stronger and bigger hip turn for greater power through rotation
· Create a smoother and more powerful swing due to evenly conditioned back muscles
· Maximize balance and alignment while rotating
· Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
· Hold a body position long enough to play through a shot
· Play without pain!